Frequently Asked Questions - Hosting

Similar to other sharing economy business models (like Airbnb & Uber), traveling munchkin is an online community that brings travelling families to rent out baby gear from local families in the area.

What is Traveling Munchkin?
What locations does Traveling Munchkin service?

As a start up, Traveling Munchkin is first starting out in the Greater Toronto Area and surrounding cities and will slowly expand outwards. We want to ensure quality is met first and foremost and learn about this business in our local market.

How do I become a Host and list my items?

Fill out the form on the bottom section here. We conduct a phone/in-person/ video conference 20-30 minutes interview to make sure we're a good fit with each other, understanding how everything works, and ensuring your gear fits our criteria before being listed. If approved to be part of our Hosting team, Traveling Munchkin will help set up your profile and listing to get you started quickly. 

Chances are, you already have what you need to get started. Ideally, in order to be successful with renting, you'll need 2 of the three items available for rent: Car seat, Crib/ Travel Crib and/or Stroller. Once you have the primary items for rent, your secondary items like high chairs, toys, gates, & accessories will get rented out as well as families like a one stop transaction. If you have spares you aren’t currently using or wouldn’t notice it gone for a few days at a time, you’re all set to go. You can also purchase as you grow as well.

Do I need to buy gear to get started?

As parents, if you're going to rent out something for $8 per day, make sure you'd be willing to pay $8/day yourself for that item in that condition for your child. We do expect all the gear listed on our platform to follow the following standards:

i. All baby equipment is safe to use and not damaged in any way. 

ii. All baby gear is in excellent used condition or better (reasonable wear is acceptable)

ii. Be authentic and not manufactured or made in breach of any third-party's intellectual property rights

iii. Fully comply with all laws, rules and regulations in Canada and is not a recall item. If a recall notification has been announced while the item is rented out, the baby equipment must be removed immediately from the Renter and removed off our marketplace

iv. All Baby gear was purchased six (6) years or less, brand new for your own child to use. 

 Car Seats 

For car seats, we have more strict standards to follow:

i. No car seats that has EVER been in any shape or form of car accidents are allowed to be listed.

ii. Car seats must be in excellent used condition and safe to use

iii. Only car seats manufactured less than five (5) years ago can be listed on the platform.

iv. Car seats must have been purchased new by yourself or spouse. No car seats purchased used on any marketplace or passed down by family members are allowed. 

v. All car seats must fully comply with all laws, rules and regulations in Canada and is not a recall item. If a recall notification has been announced while the item is rented out, the baby equipment must be removed immediately from the Renter and removed off our marketplace

vi. When renting out a car seat, the full manual must be accompanied with the car seat, cleaned to the manual instructions using natural or organic products. 

vii. Under no circumstances are Host families allowed to install car seats for travelling families. 

with all laws, rules and regulations in Canada and is not a recall item. If a recall notification has been announced while the item is rented out, the baby equipment must be removed immediately from the Renter and removed off our marketplace

Host must be willing to sign a legal Statement of Truth verifying the following statements are true. 

How do I know if my item meets Traveling Munchkin's standard to be rented out?
How much should I charge?

Ultimately, you get to decide how much you want to charge on a daily basis. However, here are some recommendations based on what the market is currently charging for the following categories:

 

Travel Crib: $8/day

Full-size Crib: $12/day

Single Stroller:$8-$12/day

Double Stroller: $10 -$15/day

Car Seat: $8-10/day

High Chair: $8-10/day

Gates: $10/day

Booster Chairs: $5/day

Toy Bundles:$5/day or $20/week

We also have bundle pricing for longer duration of rental. We suggest 20% off for per week orders, and 35% off for per month orders. 

As the owner, you decide the options. Either you can choose to deliver your item within a certain km radius for free or for an extra charge, meet up at the airport when the renters have arrived or allow for pick ups. Traveling Munchkin is currently working on building valuable partnerships between Airbnb Hosts so that when available, Airbnb hosts can allow you to drop off the items ahead of their guests arrival. That way, your renters can enjoy their items right away without having an overtired infant on their hands. 

As for setups, Traveling Munchkin's Hosts should set up cribs, high chairs, strollers for families, however they are NOT allowed to set up car seats & gates for liability reasons. However, Traveling Munchkin have CPST certified car seat techs that can install car seats at an additional fee. Email info@travelingmunchkin.com to find the nearest car set techs available in your area. 

How does delivery and set up work?

Remember, we're a community of moms and dads. Parents have the utmost respect for other parent's items as we understand how important and expensive baby gear items are. In the most unlikely situation your items gets lost, stolen or damaged, we have you covered! Traveling Munchkin has damage protection insurance on all your short term rental gear with Duuo. To learn more on what's covered on Duuo, visit https://duuo.ca/rent-my-stuff/

What if my item is never returned or returned damaged?

You keep 80% of your rental and delivery fees, Traveling munchkin keeps the other 20%. You keep 100% of your tips.

How does Traveling Munchkin make money?
How do I get paid?

All transactions are done through our platform. Once an order is placed, the money gets moved to an escrow account until the item is delivered. Once delivered, you'd go into your account and select completed. 80% of the invoice will get direct deposited into your bank between 3-7 business days. This delay is to allow any dispute that may occur between the Renters and Hosts after the items have been delivered. 

Can I cancel an order?

Traveling Munchkin’s goal is to make travel easier for families, therefore we strongly encourage our owners not to cancel reservations as this may cause great inconvenience for our renters. If, however, you have an extraordinary circumstance and need to cancel, please reach out to us at 

What's required to become a Host on Traveling Munchkin?

After we've helped with the initial set up, you will maintain and add additional  baby gear items on our platform (we’ll show you how). You are responsible for delivery, set-up (excluding car seats & gates), pick up, inspect & clean after each rental transaction. You will review your experience with the customer and vice versa. You will be paid after each service. And repeat. Any questions feel free to reach out to us at info@travelingmunchkin.com , we're here to help!

How does Traveling Munchkin make money?

You keep 80% of your rental and delivery fees, Traveling munchkin keeps the other 20%. You keep 100% of your tips.